Summary: The National Caucus of Environmental Legislators (NCEL) seeks a highly motivated individual who will support organizational communications, fundraising, and program initiatives. The Program Associate will report directly to the Executive Director and Program Director.
NCEL is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization working with environmentally-committed state lawmakers to advance pro-environment initiatives and defend against the rollback of environmental safeguards. The organization comprises a nationwide network of over 1,100 state legislators with membership in all 50 states and from both major parties. We conduct both issue-focused and regional projects, and our annual National Issues Forum provides an opportunity for legislators to learn about emerging environmental issues and collaborate with their colleagues from other states. For more information, visit www.ncel.net.
Ideal applicants must be able to thrive within a fast-paced work environment, manage multiple projects with minimal supervision, have good time management skills and display strong interpersonal skills. This is a one-year contract, with potential for renewal.
The Program Associate performs a variety of duties in support of NCEL’s program objectives. Responsibilities require strong excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail. The position will report directly to the Executive Director and work closely with the Program Director and staff.
This position will assist with strategic communications, including grant writing, updates to members and stakeholders, press releases, and social media engagement. Additionally, the Program Associate will work with the Executive Director on organizational management, including budget tracking, travel and event planning, and various administrative tasks. Program work will include writing some issue-based fact sheets and website updates.
Communications and Development
- Drafting email updates for legislators highlighting program work
- Writing grant proposals and reports
- Social media engagement
- Crafting legislator spotlights and press releases to highlight key successes
- Donor relationship management and funder updates
- Support the Program Director in executing program deliverables and grant outcomes
- Logistical support for events and meetings
- Developing materials and graphics to support program efforts
- Assisting with budget tracking and basic accounting
- Updating fundraising databases and profiles
- Scheduling calls and meetings for Executive Director
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university in a relevant discipline.
- Must have experience in Microsoft Office suite products, Google applications, and basic database management.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with communications such as newsletters, articles, and/or social media writing.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Excel for data analysis.
- Familiarity with Quickbooks is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with grant writing is preferred but not required.
- Ability to work independently and within a team setting is essential.
- Volunteer experience or familiarity with nonprofit organizations preferred.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF document detailing your qualifications to Nick Anda at email@example.com. Include “NCEL ASSOCIATE 2017” as the subject line. Please no calls or walk ins.
NCEL is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual preference, gender identity or gender expression.
Deadline: NCEL will be accepting applications on a rolling basis
Start Date: Early September
Compensation: $40,000/year plus health insurance and retirement
Hours: Full time
Location: Washington, D.C.