Summary: The National Caucus of Environmental Legislators (NCEL) seeks a highly motivated employee who will coordinate legislative outreach and track legislation around the country. This position will have an emphasis on energy policy, but will occasionally support other issue areas including water quality and chemical policy.
NCEL is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization working with environmentally minded state lawmakers to advance pro-environment initiatives and defend against the rollback of environmental safeguards. The organization comprises a nationwide network of over 1,200 state legislators with membership in all 50 states and from both major parties. We conduct both issue-focused and regional projects, and our forums provide an opportunity for legislators to learn about emerging environmental issues and collaborate with their colleagues from other states. For more information, visit www.ncel.net.
Ideal applicants must be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment, manage multiple projects with minimal supervision, have good time management skills and display strong interpersonal skills. This is a one-year contract, with the potential for extension.
The Legislative Coordinator will work with the Program Director to support state legislators across the country and achieve program goals. The position will include outreach and communications, database management, and event coordination. Duties include:
- Conducting research on topics including energy efficiency and financing, renewable energy, environmental equity, and other climate issues.
- Develop and proofing communication content, including emails, fact sheets, and reports for legislators.
- Contact state legislators and staff to organize meetings and invite Caucus members to events.
- Collaborate with NCEL staff to identify and recruit presenters for the state visits and forums.
- Develop and prepare event materials as necessary.
- Track the progress of various environmental legislation in the states.
- Some travel will be required.
- Update legislative profiles and other database files.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university in a relevant discipline.
- A minimum of one year experience working on energy and/or environmental issues.
- Must have experience in Microsoft Office Suite products, Google applications, and basic database management.
- Salesforce experience preferred, but not required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team setting is essential.
- Volunteer experience or familiarity with nonprofit organizations preferred.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF detailing your qualifications to Nick Anda at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “NCEL LEGISLATIVE 2017” as the subject line. Please no calls or walk-ins.
NCEL is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual preference, gender identity or gender expression.
Deadline: NCEL will be accepting applications on a rolling basis
Start Date: August 21st
Compensation: $40,000/year plus health and retirement
Location: Washington, D.C.