Name: Jeff Howe
Title: State Representative
Year first elected to the legislature:
Hometown / district location: Rockville, MN/Central Minnesota
Legislative Leadership Position/Committee Chair/Lead (if applicable): Vice Chair: State Government Finance Committee
Spotlight questions. Please limit answers to 2-3 sentences.
- Why are environmental issues important to you?
The environment is an important legacy we leave to the generations to follow. We need to preserve and protect our natural resources.
- What would you consider to be one of your most significant environmental or energy-related achievements in the state legislature to date? What does it do? (Please list the bill number, title, and year passed.)
The ban on flame retardant chemicals —HF1100/SF1215, passed in 2015. This legislation bans four flame retardant chemicals for use in residential furniture and children’s clothing. It requires a report on 6 other chemicals for possible future legislation.
- Why is this achievement important for your constituents and state?
It will help protect firefighters and people from the harmful effects of known carcinogens in these flame retardant chemicals.
- How do you enlist unlikely allies and build broad coalitions for your priorities?
I meet with both proponents and opponents of proposed legislation to find common ground that both parties can support.
- What advice do you have for your peers also working on environmental issues?
Be open, honest and reasonable in proposing legislation on these important and sometimes controversial issues.